Thursday, November 02, 2006

Bare Walls

The Weiss show came down earlier today and the Healy show goes up tomorrow, so in the meantime the gallery's walls are empty. It is very stark and gloomy with no color on the walls. I couldn't work in an environment without art.

During the opening of the City Hall art collection on Tuesday evening, people who worked in the building - guards, city council members, government employees - kept coming up to Sondra, the DCCAH staff and me and thanking us for filling the building with art. Mayor Anthony Williams remarked in his speech that with art on the walls, the building became more than just the place that housed the city government; it became the city government's home.

When I move into a new apartment, it never really becomes my home until I begin to hang art. And like many others, I spend more of my waking hours at work than at home. My office becomes my home away from home, which makes it all the more important that there be art on the walls. So I will put up with these bare walls until tomorrow, when some gorgeous new art comes in to brighten the place up.

No comments: